Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Martha Stewart Show Taping: 26th Street and 7th Avenue

I have loved arts and crafts since I was a little girl, so when I had the opportunity to attend a taping of the Martha Stewart Show yesterday, I jumped on it.  Tickets are free, but you need to generally plan ahead and go on her website (www.marthastewart.com) and fill out a form to request tickets.  I did that and got tickets for a day on which the weather in NYC was sleeting and raining.  Nevertheless, folks were lined up early outside of the studio (see right) for a chance to see the beautiful studio in person and watch Martha in action.  Martha is an icon.  Whether you love her or hate her, you have to be in awe of what she has been able to create.  She wields an empire that spans home decor, crafts, cleaning products, furniture, rugs, hardware, magazines,books, television, and the list goes on and on.  The show I was scheduled to attend was a LIVE show.  That meant it was a little more exciting (and faster paced) than those that are taped and edited for later airing.  And due to the inclement weather and the canceled flights into NYC, there were also openings to attend the taped show in the afternoon.  I decided that if I was going to be there for one, I may as well do a little shopping and get a little lunch and then stay for the afternoon session.  Boy, am I glad I did. 

The first show was the one airing February 1st, launching Martha's countdown to Valentines Day--yeah, no pressure.  It highlighted lots of the predictable candy and chocolates, and Valentines crafts.  I eat that kind of stuff up, so I was in HEAVEN!  The second one was in honor of the beginning of the Chinese (lunar) New Year (this year is the year of the rabbit).  The fabulous cooking, arts and crafts, books, etc. are all things that one comes to expect from Martha Stewart, but one thing that you may not know is that if you have the opportunity to attend the show, Joey Kola (see above left) is also really entertaining and likable.  He keeps the crowd entertained between shots, gives away prizes (left over gifts from prior shows--I received a Cleopatra book), and "coaches" the crowd through the requisite clapping, hooting and hollering.

The audience of the first show came away with a gift card for $20 for candy, a shirt, Godiva chocolates, lip spa treatments, and crafting stickers.  Fantastic, one might say, especially for those who love crafting and sweets (and who doesn't and is a fan of Martha anyway?).  But wait, there's more. The audience of the second show received a cook book, a craft book, and a Sony eReader (ergo my earlier comment about being glad I dedicated my whole day to Martha and stayed for the second show).

After each taping, Martha also stays on and interacts with the audience.  She takes questions and really takes the time to respond thoughtfully and carefully (see right).  When I asked her how she protects her dogs' feet in the winter with all the chemicals and the snow and sleet (and noted, that my dog won't wear galoshes), she responded that on her property she doesn't use any harsh chemicals and that in other places where she can't control what gets put down (like in the City), she makes sure that she has warm water to wash their feet every time they come in from outside.  When I said that is what I already do, but was hoping for an easier solution, she responded with a laugh that they (the dogs) don't mind it--but perhaps I did. I conceded she was right.  

It was a fantastic day.  Winter weather could not squash my spirits or my determination to take advantage of living in the City, and I was well rewarded at the Martha Stewart Show!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment