Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lunt-Fontanne Theatre: The Addams Family (W 46th St and 7th Ave)

Folks come from all over the country and the world to see theatre in NYC.  I've had the privilege of seeing great plays and musicals in cities outside of NYC, but I think the number of quality shows available for entertainment in NYC is hard to match.  In the last couple of years, I've enjoyed, among others, the Blue Man Group, Stomp, Avenue Q, Memphis, Wicked, Chicago, The Merchant of Venice, The Phantom of the Opera, and today I went to see The Addams Family.

I didn't go with high expectations, after all I watched the black and white television series in re-runs when I was a child and I thought it was going to be a little hokey.  However, I really think Nathan Lane is riotously funny so I wanted to see what he might do in the role of Gomez Addams.  He was great in the production of  The Producers that I saw in LA about 6 or 7 years ago, and I loved him in the movie, The Bird Cage.

He was funny (yes, as expected) but surprisingly he also was great at carrying a tune.  Unfortunately Bebe Neuwirth (who played Lilith Crane on Cheers) who normally plays Morticia Addams was out and we had understudy, Becca Ayers, but she was great too.  The main normal cast is pictured at right (an excerpt from the playbill).  They had fantastic sets, great singing and dancing numbers, and an original story (not a re-hash of an old television episode) that kept moving.  I especially loved the humor and levity with which the cast seemed to enjoy the production.  The numerous references to other classic shows like The Honeymooners and the multi-layered story-telling made this enjoyable for young and old. 

Folks generally know about same day tickets available at a discount at the tkts booth in Times Square, but I would recommend looking up discounted tickets online.  Then you can plan and pick what and when you want to see a play and pick your seats from an online seating chart.  I got ours on www.theatermania.com last week and got half price tickets in the 10th row orchestra section.  How great is that?  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment