Monday, November 14, 2011

Pratt Institute: 7th Ave and 14th Street

Twist and Drop Necklace with Double Duty Hook and Eye Clasp
I've told you about The Pratt Institute before (Pratt Gallery), but for the past two weekends, I have been in a fabulous intensive jewelry making class there that I had to share.

Twisty Curl Earrings
I've never made jewelry before.  I had no tools, no beads (other than the ones that I had on jewelry I had bought), and no idea what the class would entail. 

Sea Glass Wrap Pendant on Suede
To my delight, what I found was a small class (6 students were in my class) with lots of individual attention, a really patient and creative teacher, and two full weekends of absolute fun. 

I ended up with 6 pairs of earrings, 6 necklaces, a pendant, a bracelet, and two repaired pieces of jewelry that I love (I had kept broken or damaged pieces that I couldn't wear anymore and repaired or repurposed them). 

We knotted and strung pearls on silk threads, made a simple elastic bracelet, and learned about ribbon knotting.  We also did extensive wire twisting and wrapping, beading, and crimping.

I learned so much more than I thought I would.  I got to indulge in my love of poodles (see Ribbon Necklace and Basic Bead Earrings at left and Elastic Faux Pearl Bracelet with poodle pendant (I added the bone charm too after I took this picture) at right), while also diving into the deep end with a new creative hobby. I also pushed myself to try new colors beyond my black/white/clear, and blues to include some pinks and autumn colors (surprisingly this was one of the harder things to do).

Friends and family should expect one-of-a-kind jewelry this holiday season!
Knotted Grey, Pink and White Pearl Necklace and Matching Earrings
Floating (Flex Wire) Necklace and Matching Earrings
P.S.: I made this last set (and parts of my poodle necklace above) out of some clear and frosted glass balls that I dismantled from a holiday garland (currently available at Crate and Barrel)!  After taking a class like this, my creative juices are really flowing--I've been looking at simple household items in whole new ways. Oh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment